What is Shatter?
Shatter is one of the most popular cannabis concentrates around. The honey-hued substance gets it name from its brittle consistency, and is typically consumed via dabbing.
This brittle, glasslike cannabis extract has a tendency to snap when handled. Shatter is named for its breakability, like broken glass, and is favored for its ease in handling while dabbing. It requires long, delicate purging cycles to properly remove all solvents used in the manufacturing process.
How to consume shatter
Dabbing concentrated marijuana products like shatter typically offers a more potent high, as well as terpene-rich flavors and aromas, especially compared with smoking marijuana. Consuming shatter means having the necessary dab tools, which can have a significant impact on the experience. The temperature of the nail at the moment of consumption, for example, will affect flavor, and may alter the healthful effects.
The most effective method of consuming shatter requires an investment in some new gear. Shatter is usually vaped using what’s known as a dab rig: a special water bong designed for dabbing.
In a rig, the standard bong bowl is replaced with a nail and a dome. The nail, typically made of titanium, is the carrier for your shatter. You’ll also need a dab tool and a torch is required to heat things up just right — a small camping or cooking torch will do.
Once the rig is set up and your dab is prepared on the dabber, you’re ready to get started. We advise sitting down while taking a dab, since it might be intense.
Step 1: Turn on your torch and aim the flame directly at the nail. Most people will heat the nail until it begins turning red hot. If you’re using an electronic nail, refer to the section below for more information on heating.
Step 2: Once the nail is hot, turn off your torch. It’s recommended to let quartz nails cool for about 45 seconds (and about 10 seconds for titanium) so the surface temperature isn’t too hot—this is where a timer can come in handy. Check out this article for more tips on how to get the right temperature.
Step 3: Apply the dab directly onto the nail with your dabber and begin inhaling slowly. Rotating the dabber tip on the nail can help prevent wasting any oil stuck to the dabber.
Step 4: Cover the dab with a carb cap and finish inhaling—a cap will help regulate the airflow. Always cap your dabs.
Step 5: Exhale and enjoy!
Safety note: Nails become extremely hot when dabbing. Take caution when handling them, and always wait for all pieces to cool down before you even think of touching them.
How to clean your nail
After a dab, carbon, reclaimed oil, and particulates can build up in the nail. A lot of people will clean their nail after each hit, but you should at least do it at the end of each session. Here are some ways to clean your nail:
Torch. The easiest way to clean your dab nail is to heat it with your torch to burn off any residual carbon or reclaim on your nail. When applying this method to ceramic and quartz nails, be careful not to expose your red hot nail to a rapid change in temperature or you may risk a stress fracture. After your nail becomes red hot and the residue dissipates, let it cool down completely before finishing off with a final scrape.
Scrape. For minor buildup, use a sharp dabber tool to lightly scrape your nail. Be careful not to chip any glass.
Wash. Try soaking your nail in 91% isopropyl alcohol for 10 minutes.
Other ways to consume shatter
There are many other ways to consume Shatter. Try crumbling up a small amount and adding it to the flower in your pipe, or sprinkling chunks into a joint.
Smokey loves his twax joints! These can be made by rolling up a small amount of Shatter into a line and wrap the shatter around your joint. You’ll find the addition of Smokey’s shatter creates a stronger, more potent high.
A Twax Joint is basically a regular joint, with a cannabis concentrate added to either the inside, outside, or tip of the joint. This means that when it’s smoked, it packs an insane punch, perfect for those who are looking to upgrade their smoking experience to a more potent, intense high.
Not everyone likes dabbing or the equipment it requires, so a Twax Joint may be the better alternative for those who’d rather go more old-school.
How to roll a Twax Joint
There are a few items you’ll need to gather before you get started with the creative process of making your Twax Joint. If you’re a regular cannabis consumer, there’s a pretty good chance you’ve already got all of what you need. If not, Smokey has everything you need!
– Some form of marijuana concentrate. Smokey’s shatter is perfect for a twax joint. Click here for more of Smokey’s extracts.
– Rolling papers. We recommend choosing from Smokey’s Rolling Paper Selection as you will want plenty of support for the joint.
– Some of your favourite cannabis buds. Click here for Smokey’s $99 ounce specials.
– A lighter for softening up your concentrate and light up the Twax Joint.
Twax Joint Option #1: Roll the Wax Inside
1. Take a rolling paper and your already ground-up bud. Set the ground buds aside and grab your concentrate of choice.
2. Using a lighter, melt the concentrate enough so that it is easily spreadable.
3. Spread the melted concentrate in a snake-like line from the top of the rolling paper to the bottom. This ensures that every hit you take will include a bit of this concentrate, so your high will be that much more even.
4. Take your grinded buds and spread them throughout the rolling paper covered with a thin line of concentrate and roll up the joint like you would normally.
5. Give that paper a lick, seal it off, and enjoy!
Twax Joint Option #2: Roll the Wax Outside
1. Begin by folding and rolling your concentrate into a long, snake-like tube. You’ll want to make sure the shape is a bit longer than your joint paper.
2. Take your rolling paper and grinded buds and make a joint as per usual. Be sure the roll is nice and tight so that there’s no chance that some marijuana will spill out of it. .
3. Take the tube you made from your cannabis concentrate and wrap it around your joint in a spiral shape. Start by pressing and attaching the sticky substance to the end of one side of the joint, and then slowly work your way around the entirety of the doobie.
The next time you’re with your friends, surprise them with a Twax Joint and they’ll be thoroughly impressed…and insanely high too, of course.
Strain: Pineapple Express